Thursday, December 31, 2009

Any vegetarian filling recipes for pita bread?

I absolutely love pita bread and want some fresh recipes to try! I love any type of vegetable and love creative, new tastes to stuff into those pitas. As of right now, I've been eating PB and bananas or random green veggies...


Thanks for your help!Any vegetarian filling recipes for pita bread?
Falafel


32 ounces chickpeas -- 2 cans


1 clove garlic


1/2 cup whole wheat flour


1 tablespoon seasoning salt


3 dashes tabasco


4 flat greek syle pitas


1/2 cup tahini





TAHINI


1/2 cup tahini paste


1 teaspoon garlic salt


1 teaspoon lemon salt


1 teaspoon vinegar


1/2 cup italian dressing





Grind all ingredients for Falafel in a food processor until it is a course meal and holds together when formed in balls (Add more flour if too watery) Deep fry falafel balls in oil. Steam pitas (I do this in the microwave with a mug of water)





Tahini: mix together 1/2 cup tahini paste, 1 tsp garlic salt, 1tsp lemon salt, 1tsp vinegar and 1/2 cup italian dressing in food processor until liquified (if too thick add water)





To assemble: Place falafel (3balls) on pita Cover with tahini and hot sauce. Add lettuce, cucumbers or any other topping you likeAny vegetarian filling recipes for pita bread?
Oh, hummus is a good idea! I'm a nanny, and for one of the families that I babysit for, the mom likes to try new things and makes me try them when I'm over there and that's how I started liking hummus. But what she does is, she takes the pita bread and puts the hummus like you would with mayo and then she takes roasted eggplants and roasted bell peppers and eats it like that. I am a vegetarian and she knows that so when I'm over there she tries to make me food that I would love but normally wouldn't eat, and now I try to eat hummus as much as possible cause it's sooooo yummy!!!
I am not a vegetarian. But my daughter and daughter in law both were for a good long time so I learned vegetarian stuff for them. I'm pretty good at it.


Mushrooms suateed with onions or Leeks and some nuts. They liked the Pecans but Pine Nuts were good too. Shrooms are hearty and filling and some nuts give a satisfying crunch. I can even do some good stuff with Tofu.
Tomatoes, cucumbers, alfalfa sprouts, bean sprouts, mushrooms, cherry tomatoes, sliced peppers (sweet or hot), olives, sweet pickles, etc.., the list is endless.
tomatoes,cheese,cucumbers,apples,gosh the list is endless!


Oh yeah avocados,feta cheese,fresh spinach
Buy some hummus. I love that stuff

No comments:

Post a Comment