Thursday, December 31, 2009

Any vegetarian filling recipes for pita bread?

I absolutely love pita bread and want some fresh recipes to try! I love any type of vegetable and love creative, new tastes to stuff into those pitas.


Thanks for your help!Any vegetarian filling recipes for pita bread?
Spinach and loooots of cheese -- try a few different kinds of cheese.








I know it sounds horrid to most people, and it did to me, at first, as well -- I've always hated spinach -- but tastes a lot like spanikopita, a Greek dish I looove.











I also love the combination of mozzerella / provolone cheese and black olives. Mm.








As a kid, I was crazy about macaroni and cheese -- but it was hard to take with me for school lunches -- silverware, dish to put it in, etc. However, putting it inside a pita solved that. You could do it with most kinds of pasta -- in fact, I did it once with spaghetti. If you mix a little garlic and butter, spread it on the pita, grill it for a few minutes, then fill it with marinara and some type of small pasta, it's great.








Another good one is crab salad. (I don't know whether you consume seafood or not; some veg do, some don't).








Then of course there's the ever-popular peanut butter and jelly combination.








Also, one thing you might try -- I never have, but I've heard of doing it -- is fruit fillings. I don't know how it would taste with pita, but I imagine it can't be too bad. I'd go with some type of pie filling -- even the canned type would do -- brush on a little butter, and bake it until hot.Any vegetarian filling recipes for pita bread?
My wife makes egg salad and puts it in the pita pocket with fresh spring mix, alfalfa sprouts, red onion. I get two haves for lunch. it packs well in foil and I take it to work. Very inexpensive!
Try filling it with sesame butter (Whole Foods sells it) and peach preserves.


Or this mix: steamed green beans and shopped cherry tomatoes with goat feta cheese crumbles (if you can have dairy) and a touch of home made vinaigrette dressing.
I like lettuce, sprouts, tomatoes, provalone cheese and deli style mustard. Also, make your favorite salad mix with the dressing and serve inside warm pita bread (Wendy's used to make these they were so good!)


Cynthia
you can get those pita bread pockets and put pizza sauce in them, then put things like cheese and vegetables in them and put them in the oven


theyre super good :]
Hows about falafel, with houmous or salsa and salad. Or what about chips (not crisps), or ummmm, no thats it.
Two days ago I filled pita bread with waldorf salad and humus.
grill some eggplant zucchini and onions. Serve with hummus or tzatziki.
You could eat Falafuls. They're realllllllllllly gooooood.
soylent green
  • makeup skin
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment