Sunday, December 27, 2009

Bread Yeast: All my bread recipes call for active dry yeast but....?

the only yeast available where I live comes in a block, is moist and crumbly.


What would be the equivalent measurement?Bread Yeast: All my bread recipes call for active dry yeast but....?
I looked on-line and here's what I came up with:





Substitutions: 1 (1/4 oz) package dry active yeast = 2 1/4 teaspoons = 1 (.06 oz) cake compressed fresh yeast





Hope this is helpful.Bread Yeast: All my bread recipes call for active dry yeast but....?
It should actually say on the yeast package what one block is equivalent to. (I would guess it would be equal to one package of dry yeast.)
I've never used dried yeast myself before. I do know that you should use 1.5oz of fresh yeast to every 1lb of flour in your recipe. Hop this helps!!
sweety, you are working with live yeast, which already has the moisture in it. so what ever it calls for in dry yeast just double the amount with live yeast. good luck and good baking, bacondebaker

No comments:

Post a Comment