Saturday, December 19, 2009

Does anyone have good yeast free bread recipes?

I just found out I have a yeast allergy. I know I can have corn bread, banana breads, etc. But I'm looking for something more along the lines of flat bread of something I could have a sandwich on.Does anyone have good yeast free bread recipes?
Original recipe yield: 2 big loaves.


Prep Time:5 Minutes Cook Time:1 Hour 10 Minutes Ready In:1 Hour 15 Minutes Servings:30











INGREDIENTS:


8 cups spelt flour*


1/2 cup sesame seeds


1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste


1 tablespoon blackstrap molasses*


2 teaspoons baking soda


4 1/4 cups milk





DIRECTIONS:


1 Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease two 9x5 inch loaf pans.


2 In a large bowl, mix together the spelt flour, sesame seeds, salt, molasses, baking soda and milk until well blended. Divide the batter evenly between the prepared pans.


3 Bake for 1 hour and 10 minutes in the preheated oven, or until golden. Placing a tin of the same size over the top of the loaf while baking gives it a lovely crust.








*Organic, unbleached spelt flour is the same grain with most of the bran (fiber) removed, and nothing added.





*Blackstrap molasses contains the lowest sugar content of the molasses, but is the more vitamins, minerals, and trace elements (iron, potassium, calcium and magnesium) found naturally in the sugar cane plant, making it more nutritious than most other sweeteners








HAPPY EATINGDoes anyone have good yeast free bread recipes?
Most people who have a yeast allergy are allergic to manufactured yeast, but not to wild yeast. If this is the case, you can have sourdough bread recipes. The only trick is to find an authentic sourdough starter (i.e. one that doesn't have added yeast in it).





Sourdough is a means of trapping wild yeast. Once you have the starter, you can make almost any kind of yeast bread that you can make with manufactured yeast. The only major difference is the flavor of the bread will be (as the name implies) sour.





I am including a link to one Web site that explains how to make a sourdough starter. You can probably find others if you do a search. And you can use any sourdough bread recipe with this starter.





Another possibility is to make a soda bread. I am including a recipe that I use.





Irish Soda Bread





6 c. flour


1 tsp. salt


1 T. baking soda


3 c. yogurt


2 eggs





Mix dry ingredients. Add yogurt and egg and mix well. Knead about 5 min. Shape into 2 oval loaves, and slash several times. Bake 25-30 min. @375.
sourdough-bread-2 recipe





Date: Mon, 27 Nov 1995 20:36:28 -0800


From: Barb Beck (barb@rr.ualberta.ca)





Recipes and Beginners Guide to Sourdough Bread





Sourdough starter was used to make bread centuries before the advent


of packaged yeast. The starter is a mixture of yeast and lactobacilli


which live together, each protecting the other and keeping other


invading organisms out of their ';home';. My family much prefers the


flavor of bread made with a sourdough starter to that made with


commercial yeast. Some add commercial yeast to their sourdough bread,


I find the flavor is not nearly as good as when only the sourdough


culture is used. It is easy to get the hang of working with the


culture. Once you do, you will see no need to add yeast. Making this


bread is really simple. I spend about 2 minutes the night before


baking setting up the sponge and about 10 minutes the next day with my


Kitchenaid mixer to get 4 loves ready for baking.








Here are some simple instructions to help you get started making


sourdough bread.





To make sourdough bread you need four things:


1. A good starter


2. A good way to knead the bread


3. A simple way to start


4. A little practice and patience





1. A good starter:





I cannot emphasize enough the importance of a good starter. You can


gather one from the air (I admit that is fun) but the chances of


getting a stable starter (one which is not easily invaded by foreign


critters) and one which rises the bread well and has a fantastic


flavor are slim. Even when all bread was baked with sourdough


starters people protected and shared good ones. If you are a beginner


get yourself a good starter. When you gain confidence making sourdough


bread try and collect one yourself if you wish.





There are good commercial sourdough starters out there and Carl


Griffith has a very good one his family brought across the US on the


Oregon Trail in 1847 which he gives away. I have had excellent luck


with the commercial starters available from Sourdough


International. My experience with the Goldrush starter has not been


good. (See ';Review of Sourdough Starters'; ) Each starter I have used


has its own personality and produces bread with its own unique


flavor. (I currently have 9 starters)





The sourdough starters I would recommend to a beginner are the Russian


and Bahrainian from Sourdough International and Carl Griffith's. The


Russian is a particularly easy one to start with because it is so very


fast and has a marvelous flavor. The Bahranian from Sourdough


International makes the sourest bread. These starters can be obtained


from :





Sourdough International: Phone (800)888-9567, FAX 208 382 3129 or


write to P.O. Box 670, Cascade, Idaho 83611. They are $10.50 Each


including shipping and well worth every penny. Delivery is prompt.





Carl Griffith: Carl makes his fabulous family heirloom available for


the price of a self addressed stamped envelope. Send a SASE ( a


business size envelope) to Carl Griffith, 322 Ravens Ridge Road,


Sequim, WA 98382. Delivery is prompt. Carl offers to make his starter


available to the readers of rec.food.sourdough and has given me


permission to publish his offer in this list.











I feed my starters only bottled water (I drink the city water myself)


and unbleached white flour. I keep a jar of the culture in the


refrigerator for backup and to use when I want to make a mildly sour


bread or a whole grain bread. I keep the starter I usually use in a


closed plastic container at room temperature. It gets fed 1/2 to 1 cup


of water a day and about the same amount of flour. The day before


baking I give it two feedings. If I want to use a refrigerated


culture, the day before baking I remove it from the refrigerator and


feed it. Every month or so I get the refrigerated cultures out, warm


them up and give them a good feeding and a clean container if they


have not been used. Remember when using the refrigerated culture to


store a cup of it back in the refrigerator with a good feeding before


proceeding with your recipe (You do not want to cook all your


starter!).








2. Kneading the bread





If you have the time, energy and inclination to knead the bread by


hand by all means do so. I am too lazy for that. I use the biggest


Kitchen Aid Mixer and love it. Others have very good luck with the


Braun Kitchen Machine which I have not been fortunate enough to use.


Some use bread machines to knead the dough (then bake it in the oven),


and from the discussions recently some use a Cuisinart food processor


but there appear to be problems with the dough blade. I very rarely


made bread until I got my Kitchenaid. Now I make all our bread. If you


are going to make lots of bread it is important that you have a means


of kneading the dough which fits your lifestyle. Some use a


breadmachine for making the sourdough but it seems that it is


difficult to get all of the timings worked out right. Ed Wood (who


wrote the book about making sourdough with a bread machine with Donna


German) even says that being successful with a bread machine is more


challenging than doing it the old fashion way





3. A Simple way to start:





a. A Simple White Bread





There are as many ways to make sourdough bread as there are bread


recipes. The sourdough FAQ has jillions.





Here is one I use to get you started. I like to prepare the sponge


the night before because it gives the bread more flavor.





The night before you wish to bake make a sponge of 2 cups of active


starter, 2 cups water and 2 cups flour (for 2 loaves). Do not worry if


it is lumpy.





The next morning add 1 tablespoon of salt and enough flour to make the


dough. (The dough will be a little stickier than that from regular


yeast bread. Do not add too much flour or your bread will be dry. If


you are making very sour bread the dough will not be as elastic as


regular bread dough.





Form immediately into loaves. I would suggest that you start using


bread pans and not try to form free loaves right away. The idea is to


keep it simple at the start. When I use pans I use nonstick pans


which need no grease.





Let the bread rise until is has doubled or tripled in volume in a warm


place ( try to find someplace between 85 - 95 degrees F if you can).


Some people use a microwave with jars of hot water to proof, some use


a box with a light bulb or ice chest with light bulb. Others just


have a warm spot in their house.





Slash the tops carefully, brush twice with water, and bake at 375 -


400 degrees for 40 to 55 minutes. Let cool at least 10 minutes before


slicing. If you like a darker crust try the higher temperature.


Enjoy.








b. A Simple Whole grain bread.





I get the Russian starter out of the refrigerator the night before and


feed it a cup of unbleached flour and a cup of water. The next


morning put one cup of the starter into a bowel with 3 cups of water


and 3 cups of whole grain flour. I let this sit in a warm place until


it is very bubbly (an hour or so) then add salt, sometimes sweetener,


and enough whole grain flour to make the dough. I then proceed as


above. I do not feed the original culture whole grain flour because I


do not like a very sour whole grain bread and somehow the whole grain


flours tend to make the culture extra sour. I have tried the desem


from Laural's Bread Book and find bread made with the refrigerated


Russian starter far superior.








4. Patience and Practice.





While the Russian starter (when it is very lively) rises the bread in


a couple hours, do not be surprised if it takes 6 or more hours for


your bread to rise. Starters which have been refrigerated tend to


have very active yeast, the bread rises very well but is not very


sour. You may want to use the refrigerated starter until you get the


hang of making the bread.





When a starter is left out the lactobacilli tend to gain


strength. This gives the bread a flavor but slows down the rising. If


you want to make extra sour bread you may want to leave your starter


out. It will change in character as the weeks go by and your bread


will become more flavorful. I find it usually requires about three or


four weeks for the full flavor to appear. If it is not fed enough and


allowed to get too sour the yeast has difficulty rising the bread.


Each starter is a little different. You must learn your starter's


characteristics. I suggest starting with bread pans particularly when


you are working with a very sour starter because the free standing


loaves can become very soft and fragile while rising. Once you get to


know your starter and the characteristics of the dough by all means


start making beautiful free loaves.








For gobs of recipes and other information on sourdough see the FAQs


from rec.food.sourdough. Darrell Greenwood has a pointer to the FAQ


locations at:





http://mindlink.net/darrell_greenwood/sourdoughfaqlocations_253.html





A good source of info is in the books by Ed Wood. His original book


is out of print but he and Donna German have written ';Worldwide


Sourdoughs From Your Bread Machine';. He is the person who collected


the starters and started Sourdough International. The book can be


obtained from Sourdough International or from your local bookstore (It


is one of those little ';Nitty Gritty Cookbooks';). His information


about starters and sourdough in this book is excellent and there are a


lot of recipes which can be adapted for ';old fashion'; bread making


including some for the ancient grains kamut and spelt. The newsgroup


rec.food.sourdough has discussions about the making of sourdough bread


and people who are willing to give you help, advice, and support


should you need it.





Hopes this info helps. We are Californians raised on extra sourdough


French bread. Each trip back we used to return to Canada loaded with


bread. I must be doing something right because the last time we went


to California my family complained about the bread in California and


we had to bring nothing back 8).





Wow is there interest in sourdough!! I tried to respond to most of the


questions but I think I sent two messages to some and none to others,


I apologize. We were having some machine problems and I kept getting


interrupted.





Anyway.. some common questions. What size container and how much


starter in the jug left out of the refrigerator. I use some of those


Rubbermaid freezer containers. The containers are between 8 and 16


cups. I have a variety of sizes. I like to get the container no more


than half full. There is usually between 1 and 6 cups of starter in


the pot (when I bake I usually use 4 cups of starter). The starter


usually gets fed 1/2 cup of water and 1/2 cup of unbleached flour each


day except the day before baking when it gets two feedings. If the


starter pot starts to get more that 6 cups I tend to feed a little more.


It also gets extra food if I know I am going to need extra starter for


a big batch of baking.. ie my boys coming over for a bread raid.





If you want to make your own starter check out the sourdough FAQ. It


and other sourdough information can be obtained from:





http://mindlink.net/darrell_greenwood/sourdoughfaqlocations_253.html





Questions about bread machines are best posted to rec.food.sourdough.





I use the biggest Kitchenaid mixer (the one with the 5 l bowel). I have


no experience with other methods of kneading dough. Again your best


source of information about this is rec.food.sourdough. I chose to


buy the big mixer rather than a bread machine after discussions in that


news group. The favorite methods appeared to be the big Kitchenaid and


the Braun Kitchen Machine. The smaller Kitchenaids have a little trouble


apparently handeling a 2 loaf batch of sourdough. Bread machines seemed


to be a lot of work and it seems that most with bread machines do not


use them to bake the bread only to knead it.





Sourdough International shipped my order to Canada so I think they


should ship to other places outside the US. Carl Griffith accepted


some US cash to cover the postage (and stamp licking) from me and sent


my self addressed envelope promptly back with his starter and


recipes. I am sure he would do that for the rest of you who live out


of the country.





The following is a review of the starters I have used. It was posted


in rec.food.sourdough. Was going to tack it onto the post with the


beginners guide and forgot. Sorry this repeats some things said earlier.








REVIEW Sourdough Starters (Previously Posted to rec.food.sourdough)





I have collected a refrigerator full of sourdough starters, made lots


of bread and enjoyed lots of bread. Most are from Sourdough


International, One is Goldrush (definately not recommended) and the


other is the 1847 Oregon Trail started generously provided by Carl


Griffiths.





I would highly recommend that anyone starting into sourdough baking


invest in a good starter. You can collect your own and it is fun to


try but chances are slim that you will end up with what you want and


that it will be stable. There is a good reason that good starters


were protected and shared and that ones like the Oregon Trail starter


have survived, they are not easily developed. Fortunately Carl shares


his with the rest of the sourdough newsgroup and Ed Wood has made his


marvelous collection available through Sourdough International.





What follows are my own opinions and refelct the tastes of my family.


I am a Californian who was raised on extra sour SF french bread.


Started making sourdough bread to try to recreate the really sour


stuff.I have listed the starters I have in three catagories.... MY


FAVORITES, VERY VERY GOOD, and OK but Not Recommended. I enjoy and


often make bread from refrigerated cultures activated the day before


use. I highly recommend that anyone starting out master this method


first. For whole grain bread (which I do not like very sour) I always


use the method with the refrigerated starter. The bread we enjoy the


most, however, is the full flavored sourdough from sourdough cultures


that have been at room temperature(fed daily) for a week, preferably


more. Much like aged cheese the marvelous sourdough flavor develops


with aging. All of these starters live on unbleached flour and


bottled water. (I drink the tap water but the yeasties and beasties


get the bottled stuff)





************ MY FAVORITES - THE BEST





RUSSIAN Starter from Sourdough International: Best all round except


only mildly sour. This thing is a monster. Rises well. It could


probably do a fine job with mud pies. Easy starter to work with.


Great with whole grain breads because of its mild characterists and


its great ability to rise bread makes it fantastic for rye. Left out


and fed each day it develops a truly outstanding flavor, not extremely


sour, but a great tasting bread. The Russian bread is so popular


around here that a pot of this starter stays out all the time and is


used approximatesl twice a week. The is a very stable starter.





BAHRANIAN Starter from Sourdough International: Best for extra sour


sourdough breat. Rises very well. When left out develops a marvelous


taste and is quite sour. Keep it well fed when left out or it tends


to produce bread which is too sour for my tastes after a couple


weeks. This is a very stable starter





1847 OREGON TRAIL Starter from Carl Griffith: This one rised well has


a nice flavor and is moderately sour. I have not had this starter


long enough to be completely familiar with it but so far has been very


stable and makes excellent bread.





************VERY, VERY, VERY GOOD - EXCELLENT STARTERS - WONDERFUL FLAVOR





SAN FRANCISCO Starter from Sourdough International: This is the


starter I have had the longest. Great flavor but must really be


pushed to give extra sour bread. Does not rise quite as well as


RUSSIAN or BAHRANIAN. To make extra sour frenchbread I have started


using two cultures. One in a pot which is out for weeks on end and


the other which is activated the night before baking from a


refrigerated culture. Very stable.





AUSTRIAN Starter from Sourdough International: Great bread, nice


flavor, very stable.





FRENCH Starter from Sourdough International: Real French French Bread


taste. Nice starter, rises well, very stable.





SAUDI ARABIAN Starter from Sourdough International: Excellent bread. Nice


flavor, very stable.





************************** OK BUT NOT RECOMMENDED





GOLDRUSH Starter.. Rises well, flavor is acceptable. Quite unstable.


Makes bread better than what you get in Safeway, but with so many


other truely fine starters available I would not wast my time with


this one. This is the only culture that does not take to being mildly


neglected when left out. Molds quickly invade and it has happened


several times. I would blame the conditions I used when activating


the culture except I got a second packet and it behaves the same as


the first. The second packet was activated the same time I got Carl


Griffiths culture and his is going great guns. It is fragil and must


be constantly checked for contamination. When not in use I would not


store this one more than a couple weeks without refeeding. Those from


SDI take all sorts of abuse. I frequently go months without paying


attention to my refrigerator cultures. If it had a truly unique great


taste I would overlook the instability of the culture, however it does


not. This is one which I do not think will be in my collection much


longer.








AVAILABILITY:





Sourdough International Phone (800)888-9567 or write to P.O. Box 670,


Cascade, Idaho 83611. They are 10.50 Each including shipping and well


worth every penny. Add up what you would be spending on yeast and


these things make fantastic bread and are cheap at the price. I only


have 6 of their nine cultures so far. Will probably forget my stuffed


frig and order the others one of these days in a moment of weakness.








Carl Griffith: Carl makes his family heirloom available for the price of


a self addressed stamped envelope. Send him a SASE (0.32 and a


business size envelope) Carl Griffith, 322 Ravens : Ridge Road,


Sequim, WA 98382.





Goldrush: Sorry I do not have the address of this one. I bought both of


mine on trips to California.





Disclaimer: I am in no way affiliated with Sourdough International. I


am just a very happy customer who is very happy that Ed Wood has seen


fit to share with us these cultures he collected as a hobby while


traveling the world.





Thanks to these great starters my sourdough breadmaking has become


very successful. When family was in California this summer they


COMPLAINED about the bread. 8) First time we have not had to travel


back loaded with bread.





If I had to go through life with just one starter it would be the


RUSSIAN and BAHRANIAN starters... Yes I know I said one but don't


think I could choose between these two. The one thing that is very


bad about this pair is that some truely fine starters are getting


ignored because we like this pair so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment